President Donald Trump said Thursday he would not be surprised if the president is unable to pull the United States out of the Iran nuclear deal, saying that he had already made his decision.
In an interview with NBC’s “Today” show, Pence said he still hoped that the deal could be renegotiated.
Trump is expected to sign an executive order on Friday morning that directs the Treasury Department to review the Iran deal.
If that action does not happen, the president would sign a new bill that would suspend sanctions on Iran and authorize U.S. military action in Iran.
But Pence said the White House did not know if the administration could keep the deal, which he said was a “major achievement” of the Obama administration.
“I am very confident that if the Iranians keep the agreement, I believe they will be able to continue to enrich uranium at a level that will be compliant with the agreement,” he said.
Pence added that he still believes the agreement should be renewed and he is hopeful the deal will be reauthorized in the future.
The president’s stance on the Iran agreement has been a contentious one since he took office in January, with some Republicans in Congress accusing him of misleading them and leading to the downfall of the deal.